Tuesday, 16 July 2013

Man abducts son, beats lover’s boyfriend to death

The scene of the incident
The police in Lagos have declared a man, Victor Sunday, wanted for allegedly beating one Ubong Effiong to death in Ijora-Badia, Lagos State.
According to the police, the suspect beat up Effiong on June 14, 2013 after allegedly seeing him in a compromising position with his girlfriend, Gift Essien.
Our correspondent, who visited the area, learnt that the incident occurred in Essien’s house on Enigbokan Street by railway line, Ijorin.
A neighbour, who craved anonymity, said Essien and Sunday had a son and had been dating for over two years.
She said, “Sunday and Essien have been dating for quite some time and they even have a two-year-old son. However, they are not legally married.
“Essien works at a canteen while Sunday is a driver. Sunday is not always around because he travels a lot. He rented a room for her here and comes to visit Essien and their son regularly.
“However, because of Sunday’s refusal to marry Essien, she started seeing Effiong and they soon became inseperable. Effiong also took care of her and her son.”
PUNCH Metro learnt that on the fateful day, Sunday came to visit Essien when he met Effiong with her in a comprising position.
Sunday was said to have picked up a stick which he used in beating up both Essien and Effiong.
The source said, “We learnt that because Sunday is a lot older than Effiong, he (Effiong) did not retaliate when Sunday hit him with the stick.
“When the beating got out of hand, Essien ran out of the room and called neighbours to come and rescue her lover. Sunday locked the room and continued to beat Effiong till he almost passed out.
“We were able to break into the room through the window and we saw the man badly beaten so we went to report the matter at the Ijora Badia Police Station.”
The source said the police did not arrest Sunday, who was still in the area when they visited the crime scene.
She said the next morning, Effiong gave up the ghost, adding that soon after, Sunday fled the area with the two-year-old boy.
When contacted on the telephone, the spokesperson for the state police command, Ngozi Braide, confirmed Effiong’s murder.
Braide said after Sunday leant that Effiong was dead, he took his two-year-old son from Essien and fled.
She said Essien had been arrested.
She said, “The matter has been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department, Yaba and the lady (Essien) is in custody.
“She (Essien) said she could not say what exactly Sunday used in killing Effiong because she ran out of the room to get help.
“Efforts are on to arrest Sunday, who is on the run with the little boy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment